Grilled Mexican Street Corn (Elote)
- 6 to 8 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest, from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Heat oven or grill- to 400F
- Whisk together the sauce:
crema, mayonnaise, cilantro, garlic, chipotle pepper, lime zest and lime juice.
- Taste and season the mixture with salt if needed.
Grill the corn:
- Place the husked corn directly onto grill grates.
- Grill the corn for about 3 minutes, undisturbed, or until kernels begin to turn golden brown and look charred.
- Turn over and repeat. When all sides are browned, remove from the grill onto a plate.
Top the corn with sauce and cheese:
- Using a brush or a spoon, coat each ear of corn with the crema mixture.
- Sprinkle with crumbled cojita cheese.
- Sprinkle with additional chipotle pepper, if desired.
- Serve immediately with extra lime wedges.