For the burger
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 15-ounce can Organic Garbanzo Beans
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour (or gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg white
- Barbecue sauce
- 1 tomato
- Lettuce leaves
- 6 hamburger buns (gluten free if desired)
- Make the rice according to the package instructions.
- Quickly cool the rice by spreading it into a single layer on a sheet pan and placing it in the freezer for 2 minutes until it cools.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- Mince the garlic and onion. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add the the onion and saute for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and saute for for 2 more minutes until golden and translucent. Remove from the heat.
- Roll over the walnuts with a rolling pin until they are fine and crumbly.
- Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans. Place in a large bowl and mash them.
- Measure out 2 cups of the rice and add it to the bowl with the garbanzo beans.
- Then add the onion and garlic mixture, 2 tablespoons olive oil, walnuts, flour, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, black pepper.
- Mix together.Stir in 1 egg white, mix until in becomes a sticky dough.
- Form five or six 1-inch thick patties by firmly patting and squeezing the dough together
- Set the patties on a baking sheet.
- Brush both sides of the burgers with olive oil.
- To serve, place the burgers on a bun, topped with guacamole, tomato and lettuce.