Vegan Chana masala
- 3 cans of chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1-2 serrano peppers
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- For serving: Basmati rice
- Open the cans of chickpeas, drain and rinse.
- Instant Pot, select the Sauté setting.
- Add the oil and once it is shimmering, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- After 30 seconds, add the diced onion and cook, stirring frequently until the onion starts to brown, 6-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, Serrano peppers, and bay leaves and stir to combine until garlic is golden brown, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the Ground Spices and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add a tablespoon of water to prevent the mixture from drying out and/or burning.
- Stir in the salt, canned tomatoes, canned or soaked dried chickpeas, and vegetable broth or water. Stir well to combine. Select the Cancel setting.
- Secure the Instant Pot lid and set the Pressure Release valve to Sealing.
- Select the Pressure Cook setting on the Instant Pot and set to high pressure for 8 minutes (for canned chickpeas)
- Once the timer is up, allow the Instant Pot to come to a natural pressure release.
- It should take 10-15 minutes.
- Open the pot and stir in the lemon juice and cilantro, and season to taste.
- Serve over Basmati rice.