Vegan Blueberry Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (chilled)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup plant milk
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 flax egg
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp plant milk (or lemon juice)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add chilled vegan butter- mix together
- Once the mixture has a sandy texture, add the flax egg, vanilla and a splash of the plant milk.
- Mix and only add more milk until there are no more dry bits.
- (Add more flour until it's manageable and not sticky. if the mixture becomes too sticky, add more flour)
- Fold in blueberries
- Flour a flat surface. Place the dough down and shape with your hands into a circle that is 1 inch thick.
- Cut dough into 8 pieces (like a pizza)
- Then arrange pieces on a baking tray covered in parchment paper.
- Brush on plant milk** all over the tops of the scones.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes
- Check the scones by inserting a toothpick into the middle of a scone, if it comes out clean they are ready!
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Once they are only slightly warm to touch, mix together your glaze and drizzle over scones.