Tofu Ricotta Roll up
- 2 large eggplants (cut length wise into 1/4" fillets)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 cups marinara sauce
- 1 3/4 cups extra firm tofu ( tofu must be drained and pressed for 20 mins)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
1. Place pressed tofu in a food processor.
2. Add the lemon juice, yogurt, vinegar, nutritional yeast, garlic, onion, and salt.
3. Pulse 4-5 until you've reached a textured consistency
4. If it's dry add yogurt, or splash of milk, oil or water.
5. Taste for seasoning.
6. Add basil and pulse until you see green flecks.
1. Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C).
2. Place 1 cup of marinara sauce into 13X9 baking dish to lightly coat. Set aside.
3. Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt.
4. Let them sit for 15-20 minutes. (This will release moisture, soften them and remove any bitterness)
5. Lightly rinse and pat eggplant dry with paper towel.
6. Heat grill pan, medium-high heat, for a few minutes.
7. Brush oil on each side of the eggplant slices to coat well.
8. Add eggplant slices, leaving some room in between.
9. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side
10. Repeat until all the eggplant is grilled.
11. Now add 1 tablespoon of tofu ricotta to the larger end of each slice and gently roll up.
12. Place seam-side down into baking dish.
13. Pour the remaining cup of marinara down the middle of eggplant slices.
15. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes until heat throughout.