Gluten Free Black Bean Vegan Enchiladas
- 1 tbs canola oil
- 1 medium size yellow onion finely chopped, approximately 8 oz
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups tomato puree or 1 can 15 oz tomato sauce + ½ cup water
- ½ cup + 1 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium size jalapeno pepper seeded, finely chopped, approximately 1 oz
- 8 oz vegan cheese Mexican style GoVeggie preferred
- 12-14 5.5-inch corn tortillas (gluten-free if desired)
- Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to cook until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin powder, and salt. Cook another 2 minutes. Add the beans and tomato puree and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low. Mash the beans with a potato masher and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove the bean mixture from the heat and strain, reserving the sauce. Transfer the strained bean mixture to a medium bowl and mix together with ½ cup cilantro, jalapenos, and 4 oz of cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Spread ½ cup of the sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Microwave 5 tortillas at a time or follow the package instructions to soften. Scoop about ¼ cup bean mixture into each tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place the filled and rolled tortillas in the baking dish seam-side down. Finish all tortillas.
- Dip the pastry brush in the sauce and brush the ends of each tortilla. Pour the remaining sauce evenly over the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the enchiladas, cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, bake for additional 2-3 minutes until the cheese is slightly brown.
- Garnish with the remaining cilantro before serving.