Crispy Breaded Cauliflower
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2pounds whole)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (use gluten free panko as necessary)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari or coconut aminos)
- 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce
Yum yum sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise (vegan if desired)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (use coconut oil for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons water
- 15-ounce can vegetarian refried beans
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons yum yum sauce or vegan Mayo
- 8 corn tortillas
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Chop the Cauliflower into large florets. Place them in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the panko, cornmeal, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, turmeric, and salt.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the coconut oil, peanut butter, maple syrup, soy sauce, and hot sauce until fully combined and slightly darkened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the sauce onto the cauliflower and stir several times until the cauliflower is well coated.
- Pour about 1/3 of the dry mixture into the bowl with the cauliflower and mix.
- Repeat twice to stir in the remaining dry mixture to coat all of the cauliflower.
- Remove the breaded cauliflower from the bowl, place it onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cauliflower for 30 minutes total, flipping the cauliflower with a spatula at the 15 minute mark.
- Separately - Mix yum yum sauce all together. let it sit in the refrigerator
- Separately - Refried beans add 1/2 teaspoon cumin and/or a pinch of salt
- Separately - Thinly slice the cabbage, enough for 2 cups. Mix it with 2 tablespoons lime juice and a pinch or two of salt. Allow it to stand at room temperature until serving.
- Warm the tortillas
- Cilantro for a garnish.
- To serve, place refried beans in a tortilla, top with cabbage, breaded cauliflower, Yum Yum sauce, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges to spritz prior to serving.