Butternut Squash Tots
- 1 (3-pound) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1/3 cup finely ground breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbls minced fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and grease it with cooking spray.
- Add the cubed butternut squash to the baking sheet then drizzle it with the olive oil and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the squash with salt and pepper then roast it for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the butternut squash to a food processor and process just until roughly pureed. (Do not over-process the squash or it will be too loose to hold its shape when in tot form.)
- Measure out 3 packed cups and transfer it to a large bowl.
- Stir in the minced onions, breadcrumbs, egg, sage, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Using your hands, portion out 1- to 2-tablespoon portions of the mixture and shape it into tots.
- Arrange the tots on the lined baking sheet, spacing them 1/2-inch apart.
- Bake the tots for 20 minutes then flip them once and bake them an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove the tots from the oven and serve them with ketchup, mustard, ranch dressing or your preferred dipping sauce.