Vegan Supergreens Soup
Makes 6 cups / 4 servings
- 4 cups miso broth
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- ½ lb broccoli, stem peeled and finely chopped, florets chopped small (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 6 oz mixed dark baby greens, like spinach, arugula, and kale (about 6 cups, packed)
- ½ cup (packed) chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Fresh chives for serving (optional)
- Thinly sliced radishes for serving (optional)
- In a blender, combine the broth and cashews, and process until smooth. Set aside momentarily.
- Warm the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the leeks, and saute for 3–4 minutes, stirring occasionally to soften.
- Mix in the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the blended cashew-miso broth, thyme, broccoli, and peas, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Partially cover, leaving the lid slightly ajar, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook the mixture for 5 minutes, or until the broccoli is bright green and tender. Uncover and add the baby greens and parsley.
- Stirring constantly, cook for no more than 1 minute longer, just long enough to wilt the greens.
- Remove the pot from the heat and transfer the mixture to the blender. Add the lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Blend until very smooth—this make take a moment. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with fresh chives and radish slices, if desired.