Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 2/3 cups (400 ml) plant-based milk
- 1 2/3 cups (400 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (150 g) cashews soaked
- 2 tbsp (15 g) tapioca flouror arrowroot flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (30 g) nutritional yeast
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt or less/more to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) potatoes (about 7-8 medium)
- 1 medium onion
- Fresh herbs to garnish
- Check the video below for easy visual instructions.
- Soak cashews in boiling water for about 15 minutes, then drain.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes and slice them thinly (about 1/8 inch thick). You will need 3 pounds (1.4 kg) of peeled potatoes for this recipe. Also, peel the onion and slice it thinly.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (ca. 204 °C) and grease a 9×13 inch (23x33 cm) baking dish. Set aside.
- To make the cashew sauce, add all sauce ingredients to a blender. Blend on high for about one to two minutes or until completely smooth. The sauce will be very thin at first but don't worry as it will thicken up while baking. Taste the sauce and add more salt/pepper/spices if needed.
- Transfer half of the potatoes to the prepared baking dish and pour half of the sauce on top.
- Spread the sliced onion on top and layer the remaining potatoes over the onion. Pour the remaining sauce in the baking dish.
- Bake for about 60-70 minutes. The baking time depends on the thickness of the sliced potatoes. The potatoes should be fork-tender and golden brown.
- Let cool for about 5-10 minutes, then garnish with fresh parsley or chives. Enjoy!