Vegan Pea, Mint and Asparagus Tart
For the Tart base:
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 tbsp filtered water
- 70g Walnut meal – ground in a mini chopper/blender or grinder
- 110g gluten-free oat flour or oats blitzed to a flour
- 60g buckwheat flour or flour of choice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp almond milk
To make the filling:
- 200g cashews(soaked for at least 4 hours)
- 60ml water
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 100g peas defrosted by running them under the hot tap in a sieve
- 1/2 can chickpeas drained
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Big handful mint
- 100g Asparagus sliced in half longways
- Drizzle olive oil
- Sprinkle sea salt
- Handful of peas
To make the Tart base;
Preheat your oven to 180C
Grease a round loose bottom pie pan with oil – I used a 19cm.
- Firstly make the Walnut meal by adding the nuts to a mini chopper or blender and blitzing until you get a fine meal.
- Make the flax egg by mixing the ground flax and water in a bowl – set aside to thicken.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine. Then add in the oil, almond milk, and flax egg. Mix thoroughly to form a dough.
- Transfer the dough to the tart pan and use your fingers to press into the bottom and up the sides. Poke a few holes with a fork across the bottom.
- Bake on 180c for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
Char the asparagus:
Add the asparagus to a griddle or frying pan with a little oil and cook for 3-4 minutes turning frequently until lightly charred. Set aside.
To make the filling
- Add all the ingredients to your food processor then blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Layer the filling mix across the bottom of the tart then top with the asparagus. Press in a little then add some peas.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle of sea salt
- Return to the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Allow cooling before removing the pan.
- Allow to cool and then sprinkle on fresh mint.