Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- 1 13.5 oz coconut milk or 2 cup of any PLAIN plant-based milk plus 3 tps oil.
- 1/2 cup water (omit if using 2 cups of plant-based milk.)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp agar agar powder(or 6 tbsp agar agar flakes)
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
Add after cooking:
- 1 tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp white miso paste (or any mild-flavored miso) you can also use tahini instead
- 1 squirt spray oil (to coat the cheese mold)
Add for cheddar that melts and stretches *optional
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp. tapioca starch (aka tapioca flour) (optional)
- Prepare a cheese mold by spraying a smooth glass container with a little oil.
- Pour all of the ingredients except for the water and miso into a medium-sized saucepan.
- Stir the ingredients and turn on the heat to medium.
- Cook your cheese sauce until it has slowly boiled for 6 minutes while stirring frequently. (It needs to boil for 6 minutes to fully melt and activate the agar agar).
- Mix the miso and water until the miso is dissolved completely. Pour mixture into the cheese sauce.
- Stir the cheese sauce until the miso is incorporated.
- Pour the cheese into the chosen mold.
- Cool for about 15 minutes on the countertop and then cover and put it in the refrigerator for 2-3 more hours until it cools and sets completely.