Turkey Pot Pie
- 2 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups chopped/cubed cooked turkey meat a mix of light and dark meat
- 2 9 inch unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat your oven to 425 °F.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and cook the onion until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, salt, black pepper and poultry seasoning.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, making sure that you are whisking rapidly to ensure that there are no lumps!
- Add in the milk once the chicken broth has been added.
- Add in the frozen vegetables and bring the mixture to a low simmer and let it thicken. The vegetables will heat up during this time in the sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir the turkey meat into the filling until well combined.
- Fit 1 of the pie crusts into the bottom of a 9-inch pie dish.
- Spoon the filling into the pie plate, smoothing out the filling into an even layer.
- Place the remaining pie crust on top.
- Pinch and roll the top and bottom crusts together at the edge of the pie to seal, I make sure that I seal them well.
- Cut a few small slits into the top of the pie with a sharp knife to release steam.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the pie crust golden brown and the filling is bubbly, around 35-40 minutes. You will see the mixture bubbling through the slits in the pie crust.
- If the crusts are browning too quickly, ( which mine always do!!) make sure that you cover the pies with aluminum foil after about 15 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.