Sweet Potato Pie Bars
For the Filling:
- 4 cups Sweet Potato, peeled & diced (about 2 medium)
- ½ cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk (I used Soy)
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- 3 tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
For the Crust:
- 1 cup Pecans
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 2 tbsp Flax + 5 tbsp Filtered Water
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Add the diced Sweet Potatoes to a Vegetable Steamer or a Pot + Colander combination with 3″ of water. Cover and steam for 15 minutes, or until fork tender.
- In the meantime, prepare the base layer for the Bars. Mix 2 tbsp of Ground Flax with 5 tbsp of Filtered Water in a small bowl and set aside to let thicken. Add the Pecans, Rolled Oats, and Salt to a Food Processor and process until a fine crumble forms.
- Once the Flax Egg has thickened, add it to the Pecan and Oat mixture and pulse until well combined; the mixture should form a sticky “dough.”
- Press the dough into a greased or lined 9×9″ baking tray; I like to use a spatula to make sure it is really packed down and even. Quickly rinse out the Food Processor, then return it to its base.
- Add the Steamed Sweet Potato to the Food Processor with the remaining ingredients, and process until thick and smooth. Spread this mixture over top of the Pecan and Oat crumble, using a spatula again to even out the top.
- Place the baking tin in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes; let cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing. Top as desired (I like to serve mine with some Coco Whip and a Pecan), and store leftovers in the fridge for up to one week.