- 2 half-pound salmon fillets (or a 1-pound salmon fillet)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or olive oil
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Step 1: Preparation
Preheat the oven to 375 F, and spray an oven-safe cooking dish with oil, Evenly coat the bottom of a baking dish.
Step 2: Make the Filling
- Use a paper towel to dab some of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes before placing them on a cutting board and chopping them.
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add the oil and chopped sun-dried tomatoes to a skillet over medium heat. Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally or until fragrant.
- Cook the sun-dried tomatoes until fragrant.
- Add the baby spinach and chopped basil leaves to the skillet. It's OK if the skillet seems very full -- the leaves will wilt and cook down. Stir occasionally until the leaves have completely wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and basil.
- Saute until the leaves have wilted.
- Turn off the cooking element, and remove the skillet from the heat. Add the feta cheese and stir until well combined with the other ingredients.
- Add the feta cheese to the skillet.
- Stir until everything is combined.
Step 3: Prepare the Salmon
- Place salmon fillets (or fillet) on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to carefully slice the salmon through the center, just until the knife almost reaches the other side.
- Slice the salmon through the middle.
- Cut until just before you reach the other edge.
Step 4: Stuff the Salmon
- Use a large spoon to distribute the stuffing into the centers of each of the salmon fillets.
- Add the filling to the edges of the salmon.
- Carefully transfer the salmon fillets to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Put the raw stuffed salmon in the baking dish.
Step 5: Bake
- Bake salmon on the center rack of the oven for 20 to 30 minutes. If the fillets started out thinner than 1 inch, it should take 20 to 25 minutes. Salmon fillets that started out thicker than one inch will take closer to 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and use a spatula to serve alongside your favorite side dishes.
- Serve this stuffed salmon with a side salad for a healthy meal.