80g white rice flour (1/2 cup) (Gluten free)
40g cornstarch or tapioca flour (1/3 cup)
salt, pepper, nutmeg (to taste)
250g mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
1/2of a zucchini, diced
1bell pepper, diced
2cloves of garlic, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- spice mix: 1 tsp Italian spice blend, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 red pepper flakes
- oil for frying
vegan cheese to taste (optional)
- Peel potatoes, cut into small pieces and cook in salted water for about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and mash them with a potato masher. (Please do not use a food processor, otherwise, the mashed potatoes will be sticky).
- Allow the mashed potatoes to cool (in the meantime you can prepare the filling), then add flour and cornstarch and mix well with a spoon or your hands.
- Chop the veggies, fry the onion in a pan with a little bit oil for about 3-4 minutes, add the mushrooms, garlic, and also the diced peppers and the zucchini. Sauté everything for a couple of minutes, season with salt, pepper, and the spice mix.
- Split the dough into 8 parts (about 1/2 cup or 120 g each). Form into balls, make a well in the middle and add about one and a half tablespoons of the filling. You can also add some vegan cheese in addition. Carefully "seal" the balls with a little bit more dough and flatten them slightly to make them look like thick pancakes.
- Heat approximately 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the potato cakes at medium heat until golden brown on both sides. They will be crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. If you want them to be slightly more crunchy, you can bake them additionally for about 20 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven. Enjoy!