Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound 10% ground beef (grass-fed if possible)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 cups (1-inch) chopped sweet potato
- 1 (15-oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon mild chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- Juice of 1 lime
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado, fresh cilantro, hot sauce
1. In a large, 10” skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the beef, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, and stir to break into small pieces.
2. Cook, stirring beef occasionally until the beef is browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. To the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes, sprinkle with the chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin ½ teaspoon salt, and stir to combine. Add the diced tomatoes and water, stirring to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
4. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a splash more water if the pan starts to dry out.
5. Uncover, and add the cooked beef and spinach, cooking until the beef is warmed through and the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute, adding a splash more water if the pan is dry.
6. Add the lime juice, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve as-is, or with any topping you like.
Makes 3-4 servings