Hearty Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or preferred oil)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 large leeks, cleaned well & thinly sliced (white & light green part only)
- 5 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (low sodium) *See note
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (or any unsweetened plant-based milk)
- Make sure leeks are washed well first. *See note on instructions
- Heat the oil, butter and a pinch of salt in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks & onion, sauté until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and coriander. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Raise the heat so it starts to simmer. Now reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Remove from heat and remove bay leaves. Stir in the coconut milk and optional lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and add more to taste.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and creamy. You can also use a regular blender and carefully blend in batches. Before blending, set aside a few pieces of potato for the garnish.
- Serve in soup bowls and top with chopped green onion, fresh ground pepper and a few pieces of cooked potato.