one pan cranberry balsamic roasted chicken
For the Marinade:
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp gluten free tamari sauce or coconut aminos (optional)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black peppers
- 2 garlic cloves (or 1 tsp minced)
For the Pan and Roasting
- 5 lbs chicken thighs or breasts, with skin on (around 4 to 6 chicken thighs or breast) See notes for lower fat option
- 3–5 sprigs fresh thyme and extra to garnish (you may used a sprinkle of dried herbs to substitute)
- 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup fresh cranberries (or previously frozen) – See notes for substitutes.
- 1 tbsp each maple syrup and balsamic vinegar mixed together to coat chicken during roasting
Prep – Clean your chicken, then place in a roasting or baking dish. Set aside.
Make the Balsamic Chicken Marinade:
- Blend all the balsamic chicken marinade ingredients listed above in a food processor or blender until liquified and smooth.
- Pour marinade over the chicken thighs, coating evenly.
- Cover and place in fridge to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hrs. (overnight creates great flavor!)
- Once marinated, preheat oven to 375 F.
- Remove chicken from fridge.
- Add extra 1/3 c to 1/2 cup cranberries, 2 – 3 sprigs of thyme or a sprinkle of dried Italian herbs to the dish. Spread it out evenly on and around the chicken.
- Bake skin side down firstfor 25-35 minutes depending on the size of chicken thighs.
- Remove and turn skin side up. Check for doneness. Then brush each chicken skin with the maple syrup/balsamic vinegar combo.
- Add more seasoning (like dried herbs, salt, pepper) to the top if desired. NOTE: If using fresh herbs, wait to add until after you remove the chicken from the oven.
- Depending on the thickness of your chicken thighs, either bake a little longer skin side up, then broil. Or if chicken is almost done and not pink, then skip extra baking and just broil for about 3-4 minutes or until skin is crispy and chicken is cooked evenly inside. Check to make sure the internal temperature of the thickest chicken thigh reaches 165F.
- NOTE: If using boneless chicken, cooking time will vary on thickness of chicken breast. Check around 35 minutes total.
- After thoroughly cooked, remove from oven. Spoon the sauce from the pan onto each chicken thigh/breast and a pinch of black pepper or cracked pepper.
- Serve with the roasted cranberries on top and any extra fresh herbs desired.