Moroccan Chickpea Lentil Soup
- 1 cup red lentils, uncooked
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- chili or jalapeño slices for heat
- parsley, coriander minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Heat a bit of coconut oil (or for oil-free cooking just a bit of vegetable broth) and fry the garlic, onion and the optional chili or jalapeño slices if using (optional) for 5 minutes until lightly golden browned. Then add lentils, vegetable broth, chopped tomatoes, and optional coconut milk. Cook for about ten minutes.
- Add cooked or canned chickpeas to this pot and cook for around 5 minutes more. Check if the lentils are done. Serve with optional toppings to your liking, divide into bowls or eat straight from the pot. You will have a hard time waiting for bowls.