KUNG PAO CHICKEN
Serves: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 - 1¼ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2-3 pieces), cut into bite-sized chunks
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- **4 - 6 dried red chili peppers
- ⅔ cup roasted cashews (or roasted peanuts)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped into halves
Sauce (Feel free to double the sauce if you like more sauce)
- ½ cup low-sodium gluten free soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons sugar free hoisin sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon dried red pepper chili flakes
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 2-3 Tablespoons water (plus more as needed to thin out consistency of sauce)
- In a large zip-top bag, toss in chicken, cornstarch, salt and black pepper. Shake until well-coated.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken about 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. **Skip this step if in a pinch and add chicken directly to the slow cooker.
- Transfer chicken into slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, water, honey, hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger and red pepper chili flakes and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2.5 - 4 hours or HIGH for 1.5 - 3 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir into the slow cooker. Add the dried red chili peppers, red bell peppers, zucchini and cashews.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for another 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened up. (Add more water to thin out sauce to your preferred consistency).
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onions and serve over rice, quinoa or zoodles, if desired.
Author: Kelly - Life Made Sweeter