- 2 lbs ground turkey, extra lean
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 large celery stalks, chopped
- 3 large bell peppers, chopped
- 14 oz can low sodium red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 14 oz can low sodium white beans, drained & rinsed
- 28 oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes, low sodium
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 tbsp chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt*
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Oil, for frying
Healthy Turkey Chili in Slow Cooker: Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on high heat and add ground turkey. Cook until brown or about 7 minutes, stirring and breaking into small pieces with spatula. Transfer to a large slow cooker.
- Return skillet to medium heat and swirl a bit of oil to coat. Add garlic and onion, sauté until translucent or 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add celery and bell peppers, sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to slow cooker along with beans, tomato sauce, broth, chipotle pepper, chili powder, taco seasoning, salt and pepper, and stir.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours. Serve warm.
Healthy Turkey Chili on the Stove: I recommend using large dutch oven or heavy bottom pot. Follow the same steps as for slow cooker, only once turkey is browned, transfer to a bowl.
- Then sauté vegetables and add pre-cooked ground turkey back in the dutch oven along with remaining ingredients.
- Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer on low heat for about 1 hour.
- Instant Pot Chili