Grilled Shrimp + Avocado Appetizer
- 6-9 16 count shrimp (that means 16 shrimp to a pound, or jumbo shrimp)
- *I buy them shell and tail on
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 ripe hass avocado
- Clean and peel your shrimp. Use a scissor to cut a slit into the top of them. Use your fingers to remove the little black vein in them. Then peel the shell outwards. It’s like unwrapping them. Leave the last segment and tail on.
- Do this with all the shrimp and place them in a bowl. Add in the salt, pepper, onion powder, coconut aminos and juice of one half of the lemon. Toss to combine.
- Heat your grill, or your cast iron skillet on medium heat to temperature. Oil with a little more avocado oil and place your shrimp on the hot surface so they are all laying flat. Cook 3 minutes a side. Use tongs to flip.
- Remove the shrimp from the heat and let them cool while you prepare the avocado base.
- Scoop out your avocado into a bowl. Sprinkle in a little salt and the remianing lemon juice. Use a fork to gently mash up, leaving some chunks in the guac.
- Set out three plates, or one serving platter. Use a cookie cutter or another 3″ round to shape the “guac cakes”. Do this by filling the round with spoonfuls of the avocado mix and gently pressing down, then sliding the mold straight up.
- Arrange your shrimp, 2-3 per guac round, tails up. Garnish with micned chives and lemon slices.