Gluten-Free & Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- 2 15 ounce cans Del Monte® Blue Lake® Cut Green Beans
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup almond meal or gluten-free flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces white button or baby bella mushrooms thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 1-quart dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the yellow onion and cook until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan to a medium bowl. Add the almond flour and sea salt to the same pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir constantly for 3-5 minutes to toast the almond flour. Toss the almond flour with the onions and set aside.
- To make the mushroom sauce, add olive oil to the same pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the mushrooms and garlic. Stir until mushrooms cook and garlic becomes fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add the cornstarch to the mushrooms and stir well to coat the mushrooms. Add the chicken broth to the mushrooms, whisking constantly. Whisk in the dairy-free milk and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Open and drain the green beans, then add to the prepared baking dish. Pour the mushrooms sauce over the green beans and stir well to coat them evenly. Top with crispy onions.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and heated all the way through.