Easy Vegan Potato Soup
Image by: thevegan8
- 1-2tablespoons olive oil
- 1large onion, chopped
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 3medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme
- 3cups vegetable broth
- 1-15 ounce can full coconut milk
- salt, to taste
- Push the saute feature on the Instant Pot. Add the olive oil, chopped onion and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Briefly turn off the Instant Pot, and add the carrots, potatoes, thyme and vegetable broth.
- Give it a little stir, then place the lid on, seal and cook on high pressure for 9 minutes.
- Release pressure manually, using a towel to prevent any burning. Use an immersion blender, and blend until fairly smooth (you may leave some chunks if you want).
- Stir in the coconut milk. You may use less than the entire can for a thinner, less creamy soup. Season with salt to taste, and serve with chopped chives and fresh bread for dipping, if desired!
Without an Instant Pot:
- Saute the onion and garlic in a large soup pot. Add the vegetables, thyme and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Use an immersion blender until desired consistency is reached. Pour in the coconut milk, stir, and season with salt to taste.