Easy Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Recipe
- 5 ounces all-purpose gluten-free flour* (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter (or oil)
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots (from about 1 lb. carrots)
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 5 Tbsp. vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups of coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vegan cream or half and half
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray. I used a glass Pyrex pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your standing mixer, beat sugar, honey and eggs on medium-high speed until thoroughly combined, about 45 seconds.
- Reduce speed to low, and slowly add the applesauce, oil, and melted butter. Mix on high for one minute, or until mixture is well mixed and light in color.
- Turn off mixer and stir in by hand the carrots and dry ingredients until no loose flour remains.
- Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. (Mine took 37 minutes.)
- Let cake cool, in pan, on a wire rack.