CRISPY BAKED TACOS WITH PINEAPPLE SALSA
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Mexican-Inspired, Vegan
Freezer Friendly No
Does it keep? Best when fresh.
- 6-8white or yellow corn tortillas
- Avocado or grape seed oil
- Sea salt
- ~2cups Mexican Pinto beans (or sub 1 1/2 15-ounce (425 g) cans pinto beans per 2 cups homemade)
- 1/4tsp ground cumin
- 1/4tsp ground chili powder
- 1pinch each sea salt + black pepper
- 1/4cup diced pineapple
- 1/2cup diced tomato
- 3Tbsp diced jalapeño (optional)
- 3Tbsp diced red onion
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro
- 1Tbsp lime juice (plus more to taste)
- 1pinch each salt and pepper
- Ripe sliced avocado
- Hot sauce
- Lime juice
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 C) and get out two baking sheets as well as a few mini cupcake liners if you have them. As long as you have either cupcake liners or two baking sheets, you can make this method work!
- Lightly brush tortillas on both sides with oil and sprinkle with salt. Then, stack two baking sheets and lift one side. Tuck as many tortillas as will fit comfortably on the edge. Then lower the top baking sheet and fold the tortilla over the top so it forms a shell shape. In addition or alternatively, simply arrange tortillas on a baking sheet, fold over, and slide two mini cupcake liners inside the shell so it creates an opening. See photo for guidance!
- Bake 10-20 minutes (will depend on brand and freshness) until light brown and crisp. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- While tortillas are baking, add pinto beans to a small pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat, then lower heat to low and simmer until serving. Taste and season - I suggest ground cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Lastly, prepare pineapple salsa by adding all ingredients to a small bowl and tossing to coat. Taste and adjust flavors as needed, adding more salt for flavor balance, lime for acidity, or pineapple for sweetness. Set aside.
- Once tacos are done baking and slightly cooled, fill generously with pinto beans, pineapple, and other toppings. For this recipe avocado, hot sauce, and cilantro has been used.
- The shells are best when fresh. As they tend to lose their crispiness when stored, they should be enjoyed immediately.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 8 tacos)
- Saturated fat:7g