Coconut Chicken Tenders
Coconut Chicken Tenders:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5-2 lb chicken tenderloins (12 pieces) thawed if previously frozen
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
Maple Mustard Dipping Sauce (optional):
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet (or other sweetener to taste)
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- Preheat oven to 400. Put a few blobs of coconut oil on a baking stone or cookie sheet. Put it in the oven to melt and get hot.
- Prepare the ingredients to coat the chicken. In one bowl beat the eggs. In a second bowl mix the coconut flour with the salt and pepper. In a third bowl put the shredded coconut.
- To coat the chicken: Coat a piece of chicken with the coconut flour, then dip it in the egg, then coat with the shredded coconut. After that put it on a second baking sheet while you coat the rest of the pieces.
- When all the pieces are coated remove the hot baking stone from the oven, spread out the coconut oil if necessary, and carefully put the chicken on it. (Preheating the baking sheet helps the chicken get a crisper coating). Put it back in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken over and put a few more blobs of coconut oil on the baking sheet. At this point my chicken was 150. Turn the broiler on high and put the chicken back in the oven. Do not leave the chicken unattended. I sat on the floor in front of the oven to watch it brown. When the first side was brown I flipped it one more time to brown the other side. It is worth the extra flipping to get a crispy coating. It only takes 2-3 minutes per side.