Chinese Barbecue Pork
For the marinade
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons runny honey
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce gluten-free
- 1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2cloves of garlic, finely grated
- 1inch (2 cm) knob of ginger, peeled and finely grated
For the Chinese Barbecue Pork
- 2 tablespoons runny honey(extra for the glaze)
- 2pieces of pork tenderloin, approx 1 lb (500 g) each
- Place all of the ingredients for the marinade into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the pork into a large ziplock freezer bag and pour the marinade inside. Make sure the pork is well-coated in the marinade.
- Place the bag into the fridge and leave it to marinate for at least 2-3 hours, or overnight.
- When you are ready to roast the pork, take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature in the marinade (this will take about 30 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to350°F (180°C) (without fan).
- Place a wire rack over a large roasting tray and half fill the tray with boiling water. The rack needs to be high enough so that, when the meat is sitting on top of the rack, the meat should not touch the water. The water helps to create steam in the oven to cook the pork and to keep it moist.
- Place the pork on the wire rack.
- Do not discard the marinade in the freezer bag.
- Roast the pork for about30 minutes, basting every 10 minutes or so (see next step).
- Meanwhile, pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan and add the extra 2 tablespoons of honey. Bring the sauce to a boil and simmer gently for a few minutes until the sauce is thick and syrupy. Use this sauce to baste the pork.
- After 30 minutes, turn the oven to grill (or broil) mode on high heat. If possible, place the tray as high as possible in the oven under the grill. Baste the pork generously every 3-5 minutes, making sure that it is browning nicely and doesn’t burn. Once the pork has caramelized nicely, remove the tray from the oven.
- Let the pork rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.