Cauliflower Cashew Mango Curry
- 2cups (heaping) cauliflower florets , 1-inch each, from around 1/2 head of a medium-size cauliflower
- 1/4teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 + 1/8teaspoon garam masala, divided
- 1tablespoon + 2 teaspoons oil, divided, I used avocado oil
- 2tablespoons whole raw cashews
- 1/2teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1whole dried red chili, broken
- 1green chili, sliced, or add more to taste
- 8-10curry leaves
- 1cup mango puree, use fresh, from 2 large sweet mangoes
- 1/2cup water
- 1/4teaspoon red chili powder, or to taste
- 1/4teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2-3/4teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1teaspoon sugar, optional, use only if mangoes aren't very sweet
- pinch cinnamon powder
- 1cup coconut milk, I used full fat from can
- 1tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 3-4teaspoons lemon juice
- Toss the cauliflower florets in 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/8 teaspoon garam masala. Set aside.
- Press the saute button on IP. Once it displays hot, add 1 tablespoon oil and then add the cashews. Roast the cashews for 1-2 minutes until golden brown from both sides. Remove on a plate.
- To the same pot now add the cauliflower. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring often until brown from both sides. Remove on a plate.
- To the same pot now add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let the mustard seeds pop and cumin seeds sizzle.
Make sure there's nothing stuck at the bottom of the pot after sauteing the cauliflower. If there is, first add 1-2 teaspoon water and deglaze the pot. Wipe clean and then add the oil.
- Then add the chopped ginger, dried red chili and sliced green chili. Saute for a minute until ginger starts changing color.
- Then add the curry leaves and stir. Remember it will splutter a lot when you add the curry leaves so move aside after adding them.
- Then add the mango puree. Also add 1/2 cup water along with the mango puree.
- Add the garam masala, red chili powder, turmeric, salt, sugar (if using) and cinnamon powder. Stir.
- Stir in the coconut milk and mix. Add sauteed cauliflower on top. Don't stir and close the pot with its lid.
- Press the manual or pressure cook button. Use the adjust or pressure level button to set pressure to "low". Cook on low pressure for 3 minutes, with the pressure valve in the sealing position. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Open the pot and add the cilantro and the lemon juice and mix.
- Transfer cauliflower mango curry into serving bowl, garnish with the roasted cashews and more cilantro. Serve warm with rice, quinoa, couscous.
- Heat oil in a pot or pan and roast the cashews first, then remove on a plate. Then saute the cauliflower (which has been tossed with paprika and garam masala) and remove on a plate. Follow rest of the recipe as it is until adding the cauliflower back into the pot. Then lower the heat, cover the pot/pan and let it simmer on low-medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked through. You may need to add little extra water here as the liquid evaporates on stove-top. So adjust to desired consistency.