Caramel Upside Down Honey Cake
- 1/3 cup honey caramel, prepared
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4" slices
- 5 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup mild honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup (56 grams) coconut flour
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch fine sea salt
- · Make Honey Caramel as directed.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a 9” non-stick cake pan.
- Lay sliced apples decoratively in the bottom of the prepared pan. Pour the caramel over the apples and evenly spread it using a spatula.
- To Make Cake: Whisk together eggs, applesauce, honey and vanilla in a large bowl. Add in the coconut flour, tapioca, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and whisk to combine.
- Pour cake batter into cake pan and smooth out on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly, about 20 minutes and then run a knife around the edges of the pan. Place a serving plate on top of the pan and carefully flip the cake pan upside down. The cake should easily release onto the platter.
- Garnish the cake with additional honey, if desired.