Buffalo Chickpea Wraps
DRESSING + SALAD
- 1/3 cup hummus(or store-bought)
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp maple syrup (plus more to taste)
- 1 small lemon, juiced (1 small lemon yields ~2 Tbsp or 30 ml)
- 1-2 Tbsp hot water (to thin)
- 1 head romaine lettuce (or sub 1 bundle kale per 1 head romaine // cleaned, large stems removed, roughly chopped)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (rinsed, drained and dried // ~ 1 1/4 cups per can when drained)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (or sub grape seed or olive oil)
- 4 Tbsp hot sauce*(divided // I used Louisiana’s Pure Crystal Hot Sauce)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (or sub 1 minced garlic clove per 1/4 tsp powder)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3-4 vegan-friendly flour tortillas, pita, or flatbread
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup baby tomato, diced (optional)
- 1/4 ripe avocado, thinly sliced (optional)
Make the dressing by adding hummus, maple syrup, and lemon juice to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine. Add hot water until thick but pourable.
Taste and adjust flavor as needed, then add romaine lettuce or kale, and toss. Set aside.
To make chickpeas, add drained, dried chickpeas to a separate mixing bowl. Add coconut oil, 3 Tbsp hot sauce (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size), garlic powder, and a pinch of salt - toss to combine/coat.
Heat a metal or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add chickpeas and sauté for 3-5 minutes, mashing a few chickpeas gently with a spoon to create texture (see photo).
Once chickpeas are hot and slightly dried out, remove from heat and add remaining 1 Tbsp hot sauce (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Stir to combine. Set aside.
To assemble, top each wrap with a generous portion of the dressed romaine salad, and top with 1/4 cup buffalo chickpeas and a sprinkle of diced tomatoes, avocado, and/or onion (optional).
Serve immediately. Store leftovers separately in the refrigerator up to 3 days, though best when fresh. You can enjoy the buffalo chickpeas cold, room temperature or heated up.