Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
- 1cup (170 g) quinoa
- 2cups (480 ml) salted water or vegetable broth
- 1cup (240 ml) dairy-free milk
- 115 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- Spice mix: 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp ground oregano, 3/4 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp salt, pepper to taste
- 1medium-sized head of broccoli
- 1tbsp oil
- A pinch of salt
- 3tbsp oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, a pinch of turmeric, 1 tsp soy sauce (gluten-free if needed), a pinch of smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to taste
- 1tbsp oil
- 1batch vegan cheese sauce or 7 oz (200 g) of store-bought cheese
- Bring a pot with 2 cups of salt water or vegetable broth to a boil and preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly under running water and put it into the water/broth as soon as it boils. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until no water is left and the quinoa is cooked.
- Cut the broccoli into florets, spread on a baking tray (lined with parchment paper) and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and a little salt. Toss with your hands and bake the broccoli in the oven for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the vegan cheese sauce according to this recipe. Skip this step if you use store-bought cheese).
- Put all ingredients for the "breadcrumbs" (except the oil) into a small bowl and stir with a spoon.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add "breadcrumbs" and fry on low/medium heat for about 30-60 seconds.
- Add 1 cup of dairy-free milk, the spice mixture, the chickpeas and half of the cheese sauce (or store-bought cheese) to the quinoa and stir.
- Transfer the quinoa mixture into a lightly greased casserole dish, add the broccoli florets and spread the rest of the cheese on top. Sprinkle with the "breadcrumbs".
- Reduce the heat of the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) and bake the casserole for about 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!